Health Links and Beyond: The Long and Winding Road to Person Centered Care
Driven by demographic and fiscal imperatives, policy-makers are rethinking how health care is provided and to whom. Ontario is implementing 77 Health Links to encourage greater collaboration between primary care, specialist care, hospitals, long-term care, rehabilitation, home care and community supports. By starting with the highest cost users — the 1% to 5% who account for 66% of health care spending — and developing local approaches to providing “the right care, at the right time, and in the right place,” Health Links aim to overcome system fragmentation, moderate system costs, push new investments in community-based primary health care, and make the leap from provider-centred to person-centred care.
This half day symposium held on Thursday, June 20 featured diverse perspectives followed by a networking lunch and presentation and book signing with award-winning Canadian author Dr Vincent Lam. It examined key challenges and opportunities faced by Ontario’s Health Links as they attempt to build person-centred systems of care “from the ground up,” posing key questions. Is collaboration enough to do the job? What “sticks” and “carrots” are needed to move resources toward primary health care? If Health Links concentrate on the top 5% of health care users, what happens to the other 95%? What are the early lessons learned from pilot sites?
Speakers & Presentations:
- INTERLINKS: Good Practice in integrated care across Europe by Jenny Billings, Director, Centre for Health Service Studies, University of Kent (Kent, UK).
- High Cost Users: Driving Value with a Patient-Centred Health System by Walter Wodchis, Associate Professor, Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, University of Toronto and Principal Investigator, HSPRN.
- Community Health Links by Martha Greenberg, Director, Transformation Secretartiat, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
Panelists: Health Links Lead Organizations:
- Jocelyne Maxwell, Executive Director, Centre de santé communautaire du Témiskaming (New Liskeard, Ontario).
- Dr. Tia Pham, Lead Physician, South East Toronto Family Health Team (Toronto, Ontario).
- Seonag Macrae, Vice President Community Care and Wellness for Seniors, WoodGreen Community Services(Toronto, Ontario)
- Dr. Tim Rutledge, CEO, North York General Hospital
The CRNCC is funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council and Ryerson University
The HSPRN is supported by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC)